How To Unlock Bootloader and Root The OnePlus Nord
Those days are long gone, but there may still be reasons why a user might want to ROOT their device – thanks to devices like OnePlus Nord, it’s easier to root and take advantage of Android’s true open-source nature. If you want to try some new applications for root only or install completely different firmware, you will need to unlock the bootloader and then root the device.
In the early years of Android, one of the first things we loved to do was root as soon as we unwrapped a new smartphone. Those days are long gone, but there may still be reasons why a user might want to ROOT their device – thanks to devices like OnePlus Nord, it’s easier to root and take advantage of Android’s truly open-source nature.
If you want to try some new applications for root only or install completely different firmware, you will need to unlock the bootloader and then root the device. Fortunately, it is an easy process and it shouldn’t take long.
What you need before you start:
WARNING: Rooting the OnePlus Nord may void the warranty and may cause damage to your device if done incorrectly. Proceed at your own risk.
As always, there are some steps that need to be taken before getting your hands dirty. It is also important to note that during the process of unlocking the bootloader and ROOT of your OnePlus Nord, your device will be completely reset to factory settings.
So, make sure that all your important files have a safe backup, which includes your photos, downloads, and everything you want to keep.
After having the SDK installed and your Nord updated to OxygenOS version 10.5.2, there are a few more steps to follow. However, this is done directly on the smartphone.
- Open the Settings application.
- Scroll down and touch Over the phone .
- Touch the Build Number seven (7) times to activate Programmer Options.
- Go back to Settings.
- Scroll down and select the System .
- Touch Advanced.
- Touch Developer options.
- Touch the toggle button next to OEM Unlock and USB Debug.
Now we are ready to unlock the bootloader and root the OnePlus Nord!
How to unlock the OnePlus Nord Bootloader:
After enabling the programmer options and activating the OEM unlock and USB debugging option, we are ready to unlock the Bootloader. This is only the first step in the process, but it will completely format your Nord, so we want to reiterate the importance of backing up any important or relevant files before they are lost.
- connect the OnePlus Nord to the PC with the OnePlus cable, if possible.
- Open the Command Window on your PC.
- Boot to FastBoot by entering the following in the command / terminal window: ” adb reboot Bootloader”
- Unlock the bootloader by typing the following in the command / terminal window: ” fastboot oem unlock”
Once completed, Nord must be restarted and then we go through the OxygenOS configuration process. The bootloader is now unlocked and you can proceed with the ROOT of your device.
How to root OnePlus Nord:
Another couple of steps to take before rooting in Nord is to have the latest version of Magisk Manager installed, along with the standard firmware available. This can be obtained here and must be installed directly on your device. As for the standard firmware (also known as boot.img), it needs to be obtained ( from here ) and placed in a location easily accessible by the file manager.
After downloading the Magisk Manager and boot.img, you can start.
- Install the Magisk Manager application that was previously downloaded.
- Open the application and choose Select and correct a file.
- Choose the stock firmware file (boot.img) that you downloaded.
- Once completed, the firmware will be available in your device’s Downloads folder.
- With OnePlus Nord connected to your computer, transfer boot.img to your PC.
- On your computer, open the command window and type the following: ” adb reboot Bootloader”
- Once in Fastboot Mode, enter the following in the command window:
- f astboot getvar current-slot
- If the output is “a”, type fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img and press Enter.
- If the output is “b”, type fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img and press Enter.
- f astboot getvar current-slot
- Restart your OnePlus Nord.
Once restarted, open the Magisk Manager application again. The application should now show whether the device has successfully ROOTed or not. Otherwise, repeat the steps from the beginning, ensuring that all commands have been entered correctly.