Solved: PC Battlefield 5 Controller Issue: Electronic Arts is the publisher of the first-person shooter video game known as Battlefield V, which was developed by DICE. On November 20, 2018, it was made available for purchase on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
It is the eleventh main installment in the Battlefield series and the successor to Battlefield 1, which was released in 2016. Following the game’s initial launch, a select few players were unlucky enough to run into a few problems, one of which was that their Battlefield 5 controller was not functioning properly. You can fix the problem by following this guide, which you can do if you are also having the same issue.
Even when played on a personal computer, certain titles belonging to a particular category always call for the use of a gamepad or controller. In a different light, we could say that some players adore playing games on controllers of any kind, particularly when it comes to games with themes like survival videos games.
However, there is a possibility that the connected controller will not function in certain settings on your personal computer, which can be very frustrating. It does not imply that the problem lies with the controller or the USB port. It indicates that there is a contradiction in something.
Battlefield 5: Fix Controller Not Recognizing or Detecting on PC
It is also possible that even if your Xbox, PS5, or any other controller is detected by the computer, it does not register any button input or incorrect inputs, etc. Fortunately, we’ve provided a couple of possible workarounds that should assist you. As a result, you can test each method one by one until the problem is resolved. Now, without further ado, let’s get started.
1. Reboot the PC
Whenever you’ve finished playing a game or using Steam, it’s a good idea to restart your computer, as this can often resolve a wide variety of temporary problems, such as cache data corruption. What you need to do is give it a shot.
2. Reconnect your Controller/Joystick
You will need to exit the Battlefield 5 game, close Steam, and then power down your controller or gamepad before continuing. Now that you’ve connected the controller or gamepad to your computer, you can turn it on. When you are finished, make sure to relaunch the Battlefield 5 game on your personal computer so that you can check for any problems.
3. Unplug Mouse/Keyboard or Other Peripherals
You should also disconnect all of the external peripherals that are connected to your computer, including the keyboard, mouse, printer, and any and all USB drives. After that, check to see if the problem still exists by reattaching any necessary USB devices to the computer. If the issue is resolved, this indicates that either the USB device or your personal computer system had a problem earlier that needed to be resolved.
4. Press the Alt+Enter keys
If you’re in a gameplay session and the controller disconnects automatically or cannot be recognized, make sure to exit the game by pressing the Alt+Enter keys on the keyboard. Then returning to the game screen may resolve the problem.
5. Launch Steam in Big Picture Mode
- To get started with Steam, launch the program on your computer > In the top-left corner, select View.
- Select Big Picture View and hit Continue if prompted.
- The Games section can be accessed by selecting Library > Browsing > Games.
- Just go to the Battlefield 5 menu > Leave the Big Picture Mode and recheck the problem.
6. Switch the Screen Refresh Rate to 60Hz
You’ll also need to change your monitor’s screen refresh rate to 60Hz, which is standard or recommended. A higher screen refresh rate can sometimes cause several bugs. To do so:
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Now, go to System > Click on Display.
- Scroll down on the right pane > Click on Advanced display settings.
- Here you can find out and select the 60Hz refresh rate easily. If it’s already set to 60Hz, you don’t need to change it.
7. Launch the Game in Windowed Mode using the Config file
Some PC players of Battlefield 5 might have trouble with their gamepad or controller. Using the config file, you should start the Battlefield 5 game in Windowed Mode.
- Navigate to This PC or File Explorer > Go to the Documents section.
- Launch Battlefield 5 and then right-click on the Config.ini file to configure the game.
- Choose the application to open the file with, and then select Notepad from the drop-down menu.
- You will see that the [window] mode you selected is not active here. If this is the case, you should change it to “yes.” (If it’s already been set to yes, then you shouldn’t change it.)
- To save your changes, you need to make sure to press the Ctrl and S keys simultaneously.
- After you have finished checking for the problem, close the file.
8. Enable Steam Overlay
If you are still experiencing the same problem with the controller, one solution that we recommend trying is turning on the Steam overlay option for the Battlefield 5 game. To accomplish this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Now, right-click on Battlefield 5 > Select Properties.
- Head over to the General section > Here, check the Enable Steam Overlay while in-game checkbox.
9. Configure the Steam General Controller Settings
- Start up the Steam client on your personal computer.
- Steam is located in the upper left corner of the screen; click on it, then click on Settings.
- Now, navigate to Controller, then select General Controller
- Settings from the drop-down menu.
- You have the option of checking the PlayStation Configuration Support, the Xbox Configuration Support, or the
- Generic Gamepad Configuration Support depends on the type of controller you have.
- To save your changes, click the OK button.
It would be best to restart the Steam client before attempting to play Battlefield 5 again.
10. Select High Performance in Graphics Settings
- Start by searching for “Graphics Settings” in the Start menu, and then entering that menu.
- Here, you’ll want to make sure the Desktop app is selected before clicking the Browse button.
- The Steam installation folder will load when the File Explorer window is opened.
- To launch Battlefield 5, navigate to the folder it was released in (Steamapps > Common > Battlefield 5).
- To include it in the list, click the Add button.
Here’s what you do: locate Battlefield 5 in the list, then select it and go to the game’s options.
- Next, select High Performance.
- To see if saving and relaunching the game fixes the problem, click Save.
11. Uncheck Controller in Steam Controller Settings
Unchecking the controller options in Steam Controller Settings may help to resolve the gamepad not detecting or working issue.
- Open the Steam client on the computer.
- Click Steam in the upper-left corner, then click Settings.
- Next, navigate to Controller > General Controller Settings.
- Ensure that all controller configuration support is de-selected from the list.
- Click the Accept button to save changes.
- Restart the Steam client and attempt to launch Battlefield 5 again.
12. Disable/Enable Steam Input
- Start the Steam client and then select Library.
- Battlefield 5 can be selected via a right-click and Properties.
Use the drop-down menu under Controller > Click on “Use default settings.”
- You can launch the Battlefield 5 game by choosing “Disable Steam Input” from the list.
- If the issue persists, try again after repeating the steps and choosing “Enable Steam Input” this time.
13. Use Steam Input Per Game Settings as Forced On or Forced Off
- Launch Steam on your computer > Select View in the upper-left corner.
- Select Big Picture Mode, then, if prompted, click Continue.
- Select Library > Go to the Games section under Browse.
Choose “Battlefield 5” > Click on “Game Management” (Gear Icon).
- Select “Controller Options” under “Steam Input.”
- To expand the list of “Change the Steam Input Per-Game
- Settings,” click the down arrow icon.
- Select ‘Forced On’ > Click the Accept button to save changes.
- Once complete, restart the Steam client and verify that the controller is operational.
If it’s not working, repeat the steps, but this time select
- “Forced Off” and save the changes.
- Finally, recheck the problem.
14. Use DS4Windows
- The DS4Windows program can be obtained online for PC use.
- Then, launch the DS4Updater (.exe) file found in the installation directory to finish setting up the program.
- To launch the program, please navigate to the appropriate folder and double-click the corresponding file. In response to the UAC prompt, select Yes to grant administrative privileges. It will put the most recent version of the DS4Windows program on your computer.
- Launch the DS4Windows application, and then select the tab labeled “Settings” from the menu bar.
- To enable/checkmark “Hide DS4 Controller,” select the option.
- Always remember to shut down the user interface and double-check for the problem afterward.
15. Try Using a Wired Controller
If none of those solutions worked for you, you can try connecting a wired or generic controller to the personal computer with the help of a USB cable to see if that solves the problem. There is a good chance that the Bluetooth connectivity of the controller can’t keep up with the connectivity of your computer, or that the other way around.
That wraps things up, guys. We are going to assume that this guide was beneficial to you. You are welcome to leave a comment below if you have any further questions.