How to translate the text of an image into a pamphlet, menu, street signs with your cell phone camera? Translate words or phrases from a photo using the camera on your Android or iOS phone.
The Google Translate camera tool has received a new update that adds 60 new languages to its database, which means that you can now translate 88 languages at home or abroad.
The update also adds a feature that can detect the language being translated – this is especially useful if you are somewhere with multiple languages in play.
In addition to using the camera for instant translations, you can also import a photo from the camera roll to translate the text. The application is not perfect and some translations are a little complicated, but it is a useful start to using AI to navigate in languages you don’t know. You can use Google Translate on any phone. Here’s how to use it.
How to translate text using your cell phone camera
It’s as easy as pointing your camera at the text for translations.
- If you don’t have the Google Translate app, download it for Android or iOS.
- After completing the installation of the app, tap the Camera icon.
- The next page will show you the new camera features in the Google Translate app, so tap Continue.
- Now tap OK for the camera to give you access to Google Translate.
- Then the camera will open in the application.
- Change the language at the top to Detect language or select yours.
- Once this is done, point your phone’s camera at the text that you want to have translated.
- To make it easier to read and get a better result, tap Pause translation.
- After that, tap Continue translation when you’re ready to move on to the next set of words to translate.
- That’s it, guys!
Translating a photo already saved on the phone
- Take a picture of a plaque or text from an image you want to translate.
- Open your Google Translate app and tap the Camera icon.
- Touch the Import icon in the lower right corner.
- Take the photo of the camera you want to translate.
- To translate the text, highlight it by sliding your finger over it.
You can also touch the Scan icon to take a photo and slide the text with your finger to translate.