Apple is an American company that is based on the design and production of electronic equipment, as well as software and online services for its billions of users. Thus, in addition to the iPhone and iPad, the iPod touch The main devices developed by Apple are also considered.In this sense, since it’s first-generation officially launched in 2007, the iPod Touch took great recognition and power worldwide. So, it became one of the most important multimedia players and, therefore, developed several generations that were presenting remarkable improvements to deliver excellent assistance.
However, since 2015, Apple did not launch a new version of the iPod Touch, so it was rumored that it was a line that was already dead in the development of Apple. But, this company surprised its followers because presented a great iPod renovation during the present 2019. Next, we mention all the details of the interest of the iPod Touch so far.
What is an iPod Touch and what are these Apple devices for?
First of all, it is very important to know what an iPod Touch is. Given this, we note that it is a portable device created by Apple that works as a media player, PDA, portable game console and mobile WiFi platform. Which was presented to the public on September 5, 2007, that is, 12 years ago?
It is known that Apple has sold over 130 million iPod Touch worldwide. This means that it was a device widely accepted by people of all ages thanks to its excellent characteristics. Taking into account that, mainly, these devices serve to play music; which you can host in their 32 GB or 128 GB of storage (depending on your variant).
In that sense, an iPod Touch allows you to use Bluetooth headphones or headphones such as AirPods, so you can enjoy your music wherever you want. Likewise, can be used as a remote control and thanks to this, they allow you to control your Apple TV through the TV Remote app and also HomeKit compatible devices.
Among other utilities that are given to Apple’s iPod Touch, we find the following:
- Works like An ideal substitute for your car radio. Since its storage capacity will allow you to load all your music without problems and due to the loss of coverage of the radio or mobile signal while traveling, you will not be affected to listen to music.
- It is a perfect device for listening to music when you exercise or are in your workouts. Since thanks to its lightness, it provides ease to hold it to the arm by means of a bracelet or carry it in your pocket.
What are all the generations of iPods that Apple has developed?
On the other hand, in order to know a little about the history and evolution of the Apple iPod, it is very useful to know what all your generations are so far, as well as in which each of them and the aspects of greatest interest are characterized.
For that reason, we present a list mentioning and detailing the existing generations of iPod Touch:
Its official launch was held on September 14, 2007, from its 8 and 16 GB variants. However, there was also a first-generation 32 GB iPod Touch that was launched a year later, that is, during 2008. It should be noted that this generation was characterized by belonging to the initial operating system iPod OS 1.1 and its maximum supported version was iOS 3.1.3. Currently, it is discontinued.
- A screen of 5 inches or 89 mm, LCD type bright glass cover with LED backlight.
- It had a Samsung chip S5L8900.
- His GPU was PowerVR MBX Lite.
- His RAM was 128 MiB DRAM.
- It does not include a camera.
- Audio processor Wolfson Microelectronics WM8758BG.
Its initial operating system corresponds to iPod iOS 2.1.1 and was launched on September 09, 2008. Which also had versions of 8, 16, and 32 GB. However, all these were discontinued in 2009 (16 and 32 GB) and during 2010 the 8 GB. On the other hand, it had a net weight of 115 grams, and its maximum supported version was iOS 4.2.1.
- Display a screen of 5 inches or 89 mm, LCD type bright glass cover with LED backlight.
- It has a Samsung chip S5L8720.
- Just like the previous generation, this one has GPU PowerVR MBX Lite.
- A RAM 128 MiB DRAM.
- Another version that does not contain a camera.
- Your audio processor is Cirrus Logic CS4398.
We have reached the third generation of Apple’s media player, in which its initial system was iPod OS 3.1.1 and with respect to its maximum supported version, we highlight that it was about iOS 5.1.1. Now, the official launch of the third generation of iPod Touch occurred exactly on September 9, 2009, and was discontinued on September 12, 2010.
- It also showed a screen of 5 inches or 89 mm, LCD type bright glass cover with LED backlight.
- The chip was Samsung S5L8920.
- In the third generation of the iPod, there was the change of the GPU, for PowerVR SGX535.
- His RAM was already 256 MiB DRAM.
- Apple’s iPod Touch was still without adding a camera.
- As well as its predecessor generation, it also had an audio processor Cirrus Logic CS4398.
With respect to the fourth generation of the iPod, we detail that the operating system was initially iOS 4 / iOS 5 / iOS 6 and the maximum supported version was until the iOS 6.1.6. In this sense, the launch of this music player was divided into two parts: on September 6, 2010 (WWDC 2010) the iPod Touch of this generation of 8 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB in black and white; then on December 8, 2010, the one of 16 GB. Which were discontinued between 2012 and 2013?
- At this point, the iPod screen was improved by a 3.5-inch one with a 2: 3 aspect ratio, glossy glass cover With LED backlight, and 24-bit color.
- Now the chip was A45 (S5L8930).
- Like the previous generation, its GPU was PowerVR SGX535.
- It had a RAM characteristic of 256 MiB DRAM.
- It was the first generation with a camera, both rear (CMOS sensor with video) as also forward (photographs with VGA quality and video at 30 fps). Thanks to this, the fourth generation was ranked as one of the most momentous of the iPod Touch.
- Regarding the audio processor, this was Cirrus Logic CS42L61.
Basically, his initial operating system was iOS 6.1.3 and the maximum supported version was about the iOS 9.3.5. Being an Apple device launched between 2012 and 2013; since September 12, 2012, the 32nd and 64GB fifth-generation iPod Touch was released to the public, while the May 30th, 2013, the official launch of the 16GB iPod was held. But, all were discontinued on July 15, 2015specifically
- Now, the screen was increased to 4 inches or 100 mm, LCD type with IPS technology bright glass cover with LED backlight, 24-bit color, and a 16: 9 aspect ratio.
- The chip of this generation was A5 (S5L8942).
- It contained a GPU PowerVR SGX543MP2.
- His RAM was 512 MiB.
- Camera rear (minus the 16 GB model), camera lead, and camera iSight 5 megapixel with autofocus. Thus, it offered a five-element lens, backlighting, easy detection, an HDR function, 1080p video recording.
- An audio processor Cirrus Logic 338S1077.
Before the release of a new version of iPod Touch 2019 was known, this has been the current model of such a media player. Which, officially launched the July 15, 2015 (all versions: 16, 32, 64, and 128GB), its initial operating system was based on iOS 8.4 and the maximum supported version is about iOS 12.4.2. It is appropriate to note that, it has been the generation of iPods that lasted the longest in force, compared to the previous ones.
- The same fifth-generation screen: 4 inches or 100 mm, LCD type with IPS technology bright glass cover with LED backlight, 24-bit color, and a 16: 9 aspect ratio.
- Your chip is A8.
- With respect to its GPU, it is characterized by being PowerVR G6430 (quad-core) GPU.
- RAM memory of 1 GiB.
- Display a much more advanced camera. Basically, it stands out for containing: autofocus, enhanced face detection, panoramic photos, burst mode, one-touch focus, backlight sensor, automatic HDR for photos and videos, photo tagging, slow motion video, etc.
- The audio processor of this generation is Cirrus Logic 338S1116.
iPod 2019 What’s new in this new model?
As we mentioned from the beginning of the post, after 4 years, the Steve Jobs company decided to renew with your seventh-generation iPod Touch or, that of 2019. Which, was released in May of that year, specifically.
Now, surely you will wonder what features this new model exhibits and of course, what are its novelties of greatest interest.
So, then we highlight its main peculiarities:
Chip or processor
Among its biggest improvements, we find that the iPod 2019 has an A10 Fusion processor; which is the same one that was released with the famous iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Thanks to this, the seventh generation iPod is considered to be an extremely powerful device compared to the vast majority of media players that exist today.
It is valuable to highlight that, due to this feature, said iPhone It is the most complete and versatile. Apart from that, with this great optimization, it will allow exploiting the augmented reality in which the famous Cupertino company has worked so much.
Physically, Apple’s new iPod Touch is presented as a copy of the previous generation, that is, of the sixth generation that was still in force. Since it still has very large frames and for that reason, it does not exhibit interesting improvements with respect to its physical structure.
- It contains an 8 MP camera and FaceTime HD camera.
- Its capacity has been categorized into three specific models, which are: 32, 128 and 256 GB.
- Their prices, depending on their capacity, are:
- 32GB: 239 euros.
- 128GB: 349 euros.
- 256 GB: 459 euros.
- With respect to your navigation, it is characterized by being a Multi-touch screen.
- 4-inch screen It has the same format as the iPhone 5. For what has been cataloged as an iPhone from a few generations ago, but without the possibility of calling and installing apps.
Is it worth buying an iPod today? Aspects to consider
On the other hand, noting that the improvements of the iPod Touch 2019 are remarkable, but not the most incredible and apart from this, that its price is really high; you will ask yourself: “Is it worth buying an iPod today?”.
Well, many users had completely forgotten about the evolution of the iPod, because the developer already had 4 years without updating the device. Therefore, although many people looked forward to this 2019 release, the truth is that their expectations were very broad for what Apple showed.
Since, although it improved certain aspects, the vast majority of its functions can be found on the sixth-generation iPod.
In addition to that, the question is not only whether it is necessary to upgrade from an old iPod Touch to the new one, but also based on the sense that it may have or not, to buy such a device When, today, you can manage all these functions directly from your smartphone.
For that reason, if you only want to use the new iPod Touch to listen to music from there, it doesn’t make much sense to buy it. Since you can easily do this from your mobile phone and even, in it, you have more options to get music thanks to the various apps that you can download for it.
On the other hand, if you are a fan of iPod users and are determined to try Apple’s new proposal for being a faithful follower of technological advances, Why not try this product? Taking into account that, it can serve you perfectly as an independent music player for when you exercise and want to disconnect from your mobile.