How to Fix: Fitbit Versa Not Getting Notifications or Working
Smartwatch users will love the Fitbit Versa 4, a popular fitness tracker that helps users stay motivated and connected to their goals. However, some users may encounter issues with the device’s notifications not receiving or the watch not functioning properly.
Why Doesn’t My Versa 4 Get Notifications or Work?
If you are having problems with your Fitbit Versa 4 not showing notifications or responding to swipes, there may be several reasons for this.
The problem may be caused by one of the following factors:
- Bluetooth connection issues:
The Fitbit Versa 4 can send and receive texts and other smartphone notifications via Bluetooth. A weak or unstable Bluetooth connection can prevent the watch from receiving notifications or working properly.
- Notification settings: The Fitbit Versa has several notification settings, including which apps can send notifications and how they are displayed. It may be that your watch does not alert you to new messages if the notification settings are improperly set.
- Outdated Fitbit app or firmware: You won’t be able to use your Fitbit watch unless the app and firmware are working correctly. If you have an outdated version of the watch’s app or firmware, it may not work properly.
- Software glitches:
Like any electronic device, the Fitbit Versa 4 can have software glitches that prevent it from working properly. Restarting a watch or performing a factory reset often resolves software-related problems.
- Hardware issues: Fitbit Versa users may experience issues with notifications and other features due to defective batteries, faulty Bluetooth radios or broken screens.
What to Do if Your Fitbit Versa is Not Getting Notifications or Is Frozen
Here are some fixes that will help you resolve the problem of not receiving notifications or your Fitbit Versa 4 failing to work:
Step 1: Check the Bluetooth connection
The Fitbit Versa 4 only notifies its wearer about incoming calls, texts and other communications when the smartwatch is connected to a smartphone via Bluetooth. Bluetooth is a wireless technology that allows devices to communicate with each other over short distances. When connected to your smartphone, the Fitbit Versa 4 can receive notifications and data from it by using Bluetooth.
You can verify that your Fitbit Versa 4 is connected to your smartphone by doing the following:
- Tap the gear icon when you’re on the Home screen of your Fitbit Versa 4 to open the Settings menu.
- Click on the Bluetooth icon.
You’ll see a message telling you whether or not your watch is paired with another Bluetooth device here. If no devices are connected, the screen will read: “Not Connected.”
The Versa 4 and your smartphone must have Bluetooth turned on in order to establish a connection between them. Fitbit Versa 4 users can tell whether the blue highlight on their Bluetooth icon is turned on by looking at the Fitbit app. In that app’s settings, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on and check to see if your Versa 4 shows up as a paired device.
Restarting your smartphone and the Fitbit Versa 4 may help reestablish a Bluetooth connection if moving around, but notifications are still not being received or the watch is acting strangely.
Step 2: Check your Notification Settings
If your Fitbit Versa 4 is not receiving notifications or isn’t working properly, you should check the notification settings. Depending on these settings, a Fitbit Versa 4 watch can display various kinds of notifications—such as text messages and calls from phone numbers that are stored in contacts.
If you configure your notification settings correctly, you can help ensure that you receive and are able to access the notifications that matter most to you.
How to change the notification settings on your Fitbit Versa:
- To get to Settings from the top of the Fitbit Versa 4’s screen, swipe down.
- Click Notifications.
- Regularly check to ensure that you are receiving notifications for the apps and services on your mobile device.
Go to the Notifications menu in the Settings menu of your smartphone. Make sure that Fitbit is enabled as a source for notifications from other apps, such as Instagram or WhatsApp.
Step 3: Restart the Fitbit Versa by turning it off and back on again.
Restarting Fitbit Versa 4 can solve the problem of not receiving notifications and make it work properly.
The Fitbit Versa 4 can fix software glitches when it restarts because the process clears its memory and reloads all components.
Here are four ways to restart a Fitbit Versa:
- Within 10-15 seconds of holding down the Power button and Volume Down key, your device should vibrate once to signal its restart.
- When you see the Fitbit logo on your screen, release the buttons. Once this is done, the watch’s software will reload and update itself.
- The watch may be slow to restart. When you see the clock face on the screen, you will know that it has restarted completely.
If you are still unable to receive notifications or it isn’t working properly after restarting the Fitbit Versa 4, you may need to restart your smartphone and make sure that the Fitbit app is up-to-date.
Restarting the watch will not erase any data or settings, but if the problem continues you may want to reset your Fitbit Versa back to its original factory state.
A factory reset should always be a last resort after all other options have been explored.
Step 4: Update the Fitbit App and Firmware
For the Fitbit Versa 4 to function properly, it’s essential that you keep your app and firmware updated. In Fitbits, apps communicate with smartphones through watches’ firmware—a type of software designed specifically for a hardware component
Keeping the Versa 4’s firmware and app up-to-date will help ensure that it receives notifications.
Follow these instructions to update your Fitbit app and firmware:
Update the Fitbit App:
- To find the Fitbit app in your phone’s app store, search for it by name.
- If an update is available, the “Update” button will appear in the Fitbit app.
- Click “Download” to download and install the latest version of this software.
Update the Firmware on the Fitbit Versa 4:
- To access your Fitbit profile picture, tap the top left corner of your Fitbit app.
- Select Versa 4 from the following list.
- Click the “Update” button, then follow the onscreen instructions to check for and install updates.
- You should read the instructions on your computer screen and follow them to update the firmware of your Versa.
Step 5: Reset the Fitbit Versa to its Factory Settings
You must perform a factory reset on your Fitbit Versa watch before installing the latest version of its operating system. A factory reset should be attempted only after other attempts to fix the problem—including restarting, updating, and checking Bluetooth settings—have failed.
A factory reset will erase all of the watch’s data, returning it to its original settings. Before doing this ensure that important data has been backed up.
Here’s how to reset your Fitbit Versa:
- You can access the Settings menu on your watch by swiping it down from the top of the screen.
- Tap the “About” option at the bottom of your screen.
- To reset your device, scroll down and tap “Factory Reset.”
- To perform a factory reset, follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
After performing a factory reset on the Fitbit Versa 4, it will restart and return to its original settings.
It will make you reconnect your Fitbit to the app on your phone and set up the watch as if it were new.
When syncing many items, like activity history and sleep data, it can take a while.
We hope this guide has helped you fix the Fitbit Versa 4 not receiving notifications or working. But if you need more information, leave a comment below and let us know!