The main attraction of Google Stadia compared to other similar platforms is that it allows you to play on any device with a screen, without worrying about requirements and without having to buy a powerful console. This is made possible by the fact that Google Stadia games run in the cloud and are streamed in real-time to your device. So, in theory, Google Stadia should work on any screen.
However, surprisingly, this video game streaming service is not yet officially compatible with Android TV. In fact, if you go to the Google Play Store on Android TV, you won’t find the Google Stadia app. Considering that Android TV is an operating system developed by Google itself, it is curious, to say the least.
Fortunately, there is a trick to install Google Stadia on any Android TV and play with a practically native experience. Here’s how to do it.
Steps to install Google Stadia on any Android TV
Until now, the only way to install Google Stadia on Android TV is by using the APK of the mobile app. Therefore, the service menus will be displayed vertically on your television, but do not worry as the games will be played horizontally and will occupy the entire screen. Without further ado, here are the steps you must follow to install Google Stadia on your Android TV:
- Download the APK of Google Stadia on your Android TV. You can safely download the latest version available by clicking on the following APKMirror link.
- Ideally, you should download the APK from your Android TV’s own browser so that the file remains on the TV.
- If you download the APK from your mobile or PC, you must transfer it to your Android TV with a pen drive or wirelessly with Send Files to TV.
- Once the APK is downloaded, go to the Settings of your Android TV and enter the Security and restrictions option.
- Activate the Unknown sources option.
- Next, open your TV’s file browser (if you don’t have one, we recommend File Commander ) and look for the Stadia APK. If you downloaded it from the TV, it should be in the downloads folder.
- Select the APK file and install it.
That’s it! Thus, the Google Stadia application will appear in the Android TV app drawer ready to use.
However, for it to work properly, you still have to do the following settings :
- Connect a mouse to your Android TV.
- This is necessary as both the TV remote and the Stadia remote do not work during the initial setup.
- Then open Google Stadia.
- Log in with the Google account that you have associated with the service.
- After going through a series of steps, you will reach the main interface where you must click on your profile photo that is in the upper right.
- Select Experiments and finally activate the option Play on this device.
- Close the app and reopen it.
- Finally, choose the game you want to play with the mouse and that’s it. To enjoy!
Once the game is selected, it will open in full screen and you can start playing with the Google Stadia controller or with any other compatible controller. The experience will be as good as your Internet allows it, although you will surely notice one or another error because you are using unofficial support of the service to play.