There is a good chance that if you are an avid exercise enthusiast and/or sports enthusiast, you’ve already heard of Strava, an app that helps you track and share your physical activity. How about syncing Strava routes with your Garmin watch? As a result of this feature, you can navigate more easily during your outdoor activities, by following trails and routes directly on your Garmin device, saving time in creating your own routes.
This tutorial will show you how to complete this process in a few easy steps. With a Strava account connected to Garmin Connect and a route-compatible Garmin device, you can explore new trails and adventures easily and effectively. Let’s get started!
- A Garmin device that supports the courses feature.
- Accounts linked between Strava and Garmin Connect.
Steps to sync Strava routes on your Garmin watch
Step 1: Check settings in Garmin Connect
- Open the Garmin Connect app on your iOS/Android device.
- From the home screen, tap on the ‘More’ tab located at the bottom right corner.
- Scroll down until you find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Connected apps’.
- Make sure Strava is on the list of connected apps. If you’ve already linked your accounts, all you need to do is make sure the ‘Courses’ button is turned on.
Step 2: Save a route on Strava
- Open the Strava app on your device.
- Tap the ‘Maps’ tab to start searching for directions.
- Find the desired route and click on the ‘Save’ option.
- A confirmation screen will appear; Make sure ‘Sync with supported devices’ is checked before confirming the save.
Step 3: Sync your watch with Garmin Connect
- Return to the Garmin Connect app.
- At the top right, tap the refresh icon to sync your data.
- Now, go to ‘Training and Planning’ under the ‘More’ tab and select ‘Courses’.
- The route you saved on Strava should appear under ‘My Courses’ in the list.
Step 4: Upload the route to your Garmin watch
- Once the route appears in Garmin Connect, it’s time to activate it on your connected watch.
- Start a workout as normal by selecting your preferred activity profile.
- Before you begin, press the ‘Up/Menu’ button on your watch and tap ‘Browse’.
- ‘Courses’ should be in the list of options – select it and choose the route you want to load.
As soon as you have completed that step, you will be able to start your activity and follow your Strava route on your Garmin watch. For an accurate navigation experience, be sure that your device is connected to GPS so that it can receive accurate directions. Take advantage of the great outdoors and enjoy all that it has to offer!