Root permissions Galaxy S10, S10e and S10 Plus with Magisk
Magick is a tool for Android smartphones and is the best alternative to Chainfire’s SuperSU to unlock the root and customize your device. If you are a freak and want to modify your smartphone, in this guide I will show you how to install Magisk and get the root permissions Galaxy S10, S10E and S10 Plus (Exynos).
Recently Samsung has made it very difficult to tamper with the phone’s firmware. By default, it does not allow you to flash custom binaries via Odin. Furthermore, a new service called VaultKeeper makes it even more difficult to unlock the bootloader. However, the developer has found a way to get root permissions permanently on all variants of the Galaxy S10. The guide is very detailed to make the entire process as simple as possible.
How to install Magisk and get the Root of the Galaxy S10, S10E and S10 Plus
Before installing Magisk on Samsung Galaxy S10 smartphones, it is necessary to note that Magisk will trigger the Knox and, when it is installed for the first time, it is necessary to completely delete the data. As a result, you need to back up before installing Magisk. In addition, you will need to unlock the bootloader on your device.
Undoubtedly, it seems difficult, but if you follow the instructions below, you will install Magisk and get root permissions on Galaxy S10, S10E and S10 Plus without problems.
Unlock the Galaxy S10 bootloader
Usually, unlocking the bootloader is not an operation that can be performed on this device. However, here are some useful tips that will allow you to unlock the bootloader on this smartphone. Samsung has introduced a new service called VaultKeeper. This does not allow flashing of custom binaries or unofficial partitions unless it puts VaultKeeper in a position to allow it. Here’s how to do it.
- Enable OEM unlocking. To do this, go to Settings> Developer Options and unlock OEM.
- Start the device in download mode. To do this, hold down the power button and tap Shut down to turn off the phone. Now press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby + Power button simultaneously.
- Once in download mode, long press the Volume Up button. This will unlock the bootloader and all data on your phone will be deleted.
- The phone will restart automatically. Connect your phone to a WiFi network and skip the rest of the configuration.
- Go to Settings> Phone Information> Software Information and quickly tap 7 times on Build Number to enable Developer Options. Go to Developer Options and make sure the OEM unlock is disabled.
Firmware patching and Magisk installation
Now that the bootloader has been successfully unlocked, you need to flash Magisk on your phone. Magisk will reside in the recovery section, so every time you restart your phone, you need to perform recovery if you want to have Magisk features. Here is the procedure to install Magisk permanently on your phone.
- Download the latest stock firmware for your Samsung Galaxy S10 and extract the file.
- Copy and the AP .tar file and transfer it to the phone’s internal memory. The file name starts with AP and ends with .tar.md5 ( AP_ [device_model_sw_ver] .tar.md5 ).
- Download and install the latest Magisk Manager APK file.
- Open Magisk Manager and go to Install> Install> Select and Patch to file.
- Go into the memory and select the AP file you extracted. The firmware will be updated and the new version will be found in Internal Storage / Download / magisk_patched.tar.
- Transfer the patched file to your computer.
- Turn off the phone and start the phone in download mode.
- On Odin, you can download it from the link on your computer, click on AP and select the .tar file with the patch. Uncheck ” Auto Reboot ” and click Install.
- Odin will flash Magisk on your Samsung Galaxy S10.
This is the process to install Magisk on Galaxy S10, S10E and S10 Plus. However, there are some steps you need to take to use your smartphone normally with Magisk, so here they are.
Start the Galaxy S10 with Magisk installed
- Once Odin has finished installing Magisk, hold down the Volume Down + Power button to exit the download mode. When the screen is off, quickly press the Volume Up + Bixby + Power buttons simultaneously. A bootloader alert appears.
- Continue to press the Volume Up button. The phone will go into recovery stock mode.
- In that menu, go to ” Wipe Cache / Factory Reset ” and select Factory Reset and confirm the selection.
- Now you can start the system partition with Magisk: choose Reboot Now, then press and hold the Power, Bixby, and Volume up keys and release them once the bootloader warning screen is displayed to allow the device to boot.
- When the device starts for the first time after installing Magisk, the smartphone will automatically restart, so don’t worry, it’s normal.
Once Magisk is up and running on the Galaxy S10, S10E and S10 Plus, you will need to run the initial Magisk installation. The next step will show you everything you need (remember to activate the Internet connection on your smartphone):
- Magisk Manager will appear in your app drawer, but if it is not present, you can install it manually using the APK file you downloaded earlier.
- So, the app will ask you to make some additional settings: follow the instructions on the screen and allow Magisk Manager to do its job.
- Once the app has completed the installation, the device will restart.
This is all you need to know about installing Magisk on Galaxy S10, S10E and S10 Plus.
What you need to remember are some start-up procedures and what you need to press if you want to boot the phone in recovery mode or start the system with Magisk installed. Here is what they are.
- Normal power on → System without Magisk
- Power + Bixby + Volume up → Warning Bootloader → Release all buttons → System with Magisk
- Power + Bixby + Volume up → Warning Bootloader → Continue to keep the volume on → Actual recovery
Now that you have Magisk installed on your Galaxy S10, you can later update Magisk directly from the Magisk Manager app. If you wish to upgrade to another firmware version, first reconnect it via Magisk Manager, then flash it. With Magisk you can now enjoy all the advantages of the root in addition to the Magisk system modules.