Have an Echo Dot and need to reset or configure? In this tutorial, you will find all the steps to configure the Amazon Alexa app and connect your Echo Dot to the Wi-Fi network.
Once the app is set up and the device is connected to a network, you can ask Alexa questions about weather, traffic, news, stream music, set alarms and control smart home devices, create reminders, and more.
How to reset Echo Dot?
Use these steps to reset your device. Below, select your Echo Dot model and follow the instructions.
In the app:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap the “ Devices ” option in the lower right corner of the screen (house-shaped icon).
- Then select “ Echo & Alexa ”.
- Select the device you want to reset.
- Finally, scroll down and tap “ Unregister ”.
- Once that’s done, all your information has now been removed from the device.
On Echo Dot:
Echo Dot 1st generation:
- With a long, thin object, press the reset button (hole) located under the device.
- Press until the device lead turns orange.
Echo Dot 2nd generation:
- For 20 seconds, press and hold the Microphone Off button + Volume Down button simultaneously.
- When the LED light turns orange, release it to complete the reset.
Echo Plus 2nd generation:
- Press and hold the Action button for 20 seconds.
- When the led starts flashing, it means the reset has been applied.
Echo Dot 3rd generation:
- Press and hold the Action button for 25 seconds.
- Release when the LED lights up orange.
Echo Dot 4th generation:
- Press and hold the Device Action button for a few seconds.
- Alexa will let you know that Echo is in “setup mode”.
- Do not release the button yet, keep pressing.
- It will then notify you that the device has entered “reset mode”.
- When she says the phrase “resetting device”, stop pressing and wait for the process to complete.
- To reset, use a paper clip or something with a fine tip.
- Press the reset button on the device for about 5 seconds.
- When the device light turns orange, the reset process is complete.
After you have reset, your Echo Dot will go into “ Configuration Mode ” to be configured from scratch. Use the steps below to configure and connect Echo Dot again.
How to configure the Amazon Alexa app on mobile?
- Download the app on your phone.
- Go to the app store and search for Amazon Alexa.
- If you want to save time, you can use the links to download the app from the Play Store for Android or Apps Store for iOS.
- Make sure your phone’s Bluetooth is turned on.
Important! If you already have an Amazon account and purchased your device from Amazon, it may be pre-configured. If a pop-up appears when connecting your device, just tap Continue and connect Echo Dot to your Wi-Fi network.
Setting up the app on the phone:
1. Open the app and log in to your account (you must have an active account to complete the process). Log into your Amazon account or set up a new account. If you don’t have an Amazon account, select “ Create a new Amazon account ” and follow the onscreen instructions.
2. Enter your email address or phone number and your password. Choose your name from the user list. If your name is not on this list, tap “ I’m someone else ” and register as a new user.
3. Next, connect the Echo Dot to a power source. Go back to the Alexa Amazon app, choose the “ More ” option located in the lower right corner of the screen. On the next screen, tap “ Add a device ” and tap “ Amazon Echo ”.
4. The app will show the devices that integrate with Alexa. If you are trying to set up a different type of smart speaker, scroll down and select “ Speaker ”.
5. In the “ Echo Smart Speakers ” tab, select “ Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus, and more ”. Notice if the Echo led is now in orange color. If the led is not orange or purple, press and hold the “ ” button. ” (dot icon) until the led changes to orange color.
6. You will be asked if Echo Dot is connected to the network and in configuration mode. On the phone, tap “ Yes ” to confirm and select your device name. Select your “ WiFi ” network, enter the password used to access the network, and tap “ Continue ”.
7. Now choose which room in the house the device will be in. Once that’s done, tap “ Continue ”. In the next step, enter your address and Alexa will provide personalized results about the weather, traffic, and other information.
8. Then tap “ Enter new address ” and fill in the requested information or select an existing address from the list. Finally, tap “ Continue ”. If everything was set up correctly, Alexa will say: “ Your Echo is ready ”.