How to improve image quality on TCL Android TVs?
Like other televisions with Android TVs, TCL Smart TVs offer different types of default settings to adjust picture quality simply and quickly. While these settings were programmed to provide optimal image quality, they cannot all be used for the same purpose.
In short, using a “Dynamic” picture mode would not be correct when playing video games, as this mode greatly darkens the screen and increases latency, something that undoubtedly no one wants to experience when it comes to competitive online games.
Faced with this situation, which most of the people who have a TCL with Android TV at home, we have decided to experiment a little with the image settings offered by this type of TV. Do you want to know what is the best setting to improve the image quality of your TCL TV? Keep reading, you won’t regret it.
Do you have an Android TV from TCL? Find out how to improve image quality
Before we show you what you have to do to improve the image quality of your TCL Smart TV, it is important to mention that these settings could also be useful if you have an Android TV from another brand. Of course, each television with Android TV is somewhat different, so some of these settings and configurations may not be present on Xiaomi, Sony, or any other Smart TV with Android TV.
Similarly, we have relied on the options available to TCL televisions launched between 2018 and 2021. If your Smart TV was launched before or after the years we have mentioned, some settings or picture modes could have other names, or simply not be present.
The best picture settings to watch movies and series on a TCL with Android TV
If you are to watch many movies and series in your spare time we advise you to copy this configuration to enjoy all that content with the highest possible image quality.
- The first thing you have to do is click the button in the shape of a cogwheel that is located at the top right of your remote control.
- A panel called “Configuration” will be displayed, there you will have to enter the option that says “Image”.
- Therefore, you must click on the option that says “Image mode” (the first of all).
- Select the setting that appears at the top of the list, the one that says “Dynamic.”
- Once that option is selected, set the brightness to 100% and the color saturation to 60%.
By activating this picture set, movies and TV shows will have more vivid colors and much higher picture quality. Of course, these settings that we have shown you are not ideal for playing video games, browsing the Internet, or watching cable TV.
The best picture settings for playing video games on a TCL with Android TV
When it comes to playing video games, things are a bit different. Unlike movies, series, or TV shows, video game consoles prioritize performance over graphic quality, what does this mean? Those developers want their games to be able to run at an acceptable frame-per-second rate.
Many specialists advise improving the appearance of video games by touching the image adjustments that are included in Smart TVs, something that should not be done, as this will improve the image quality minimally, and increase the latency (lag) by up to almost 10 %.
It is for this reason that the best thing, in these cases, is to activate the game mode on Android TV. If you don’t know how to do it on your TCL Smart TV, we recommend that you follow these steps:
How to activate Game Mode on TCL Android TV
- With the video game console or PC connected to your TCL television with Android TV, you must click on the gear that has the remote control.
- Click on the first option of all, the one that says “Image”.
- Enter the section that says “Image mode.”
- Therefore, you will have to select the option that says “Games”.
- If you did everything correctly, you can see how the game mode will be activated in the HDMI where you have the video game console connected. If at any time you decide to connect your video game console to another HDMI port, you will have to do the tutorial again, since this mode only applies to the HDMI port where it has been activated.
On the other hand, if you cannot find the game mode on your TCL with Android TV, it is most likely that your console is not connected, or that you have not selected the HDMI port to which it is connected. It is essential that when activating game mode you have selected the HDMI where your console is connected. And, as if that weren’t enough, the video game console must be turned on for the TV to recognize it.
You mustn’t activate the game mode in the menu of your TCL with Android TV, or when watching movies, series, or cable television. This mode greatly decreases image quality and greatly increases response time. Activating it to not play video games is totally in vain.
The best picture settings for watching cable TV on a TCL with Android TV
Do you like to watch cable TV? If your answer is “yes”, you need to know that there is a special setting that you can apply to improve the image quality of cable TV channels. You do not need to download absolutely anything, because all you have to do to achieve this is to follow the steps that we show you below:
- Press the cogwheel button shown in the upper right-hand corner of your remote.
- In the menu that will be displayed on the screen of your Android TV TCL, you must click on the option that says Image (the first of all).
- Therefore, you must click on the option that is displayed with the following name: “Image mode”.
- And finally, you will have to select the option that says “HDR Enhancement”.
Although this picture mode can be used for almost any content (except for gaming), we recommend activating it only to watch cable TV and DTT, why? For the simple reason that this configuration manages to adapt to sporting events, live shows, and much more.
Can the picture quality be further improved on a TCL Smart TV with Android TV?
The answer to this question is “yes”. By modifying some advanced picture settings, it is possible to obtain higher picture quality when watching television on a TCL Smart TV with Android TV. Similarly, you may not like these settings, as they are purely personal. From now on, we recommend you give these tips a try, we are more than sure that you will notice the difference when applying them.
Of course, it is necessary to activate any of the image modes that we mentioned above, because if the recommended mode is not chosen, it will be useless to make the changes that we are going to show you in this tutorial. It is worth clarifying that these settings cannot be modified with the “Game mode” activated. All the other picture modes that TCL televisions with Android TV have, allow the modification of the parameters that you are going to observe below:
- Click on the small sprocket that is located at the top right of your remote control. This will allow you to open the settings menu of your TCL Smart TV.
- Enter the section that says “Image” (it is the first option shown in the menu).
- Go to the fourth option, the one that says “Advanced”.
- Enter the option that says “Brightness Settings”
- Set the Brightness and Contrast to 100%. On the other hand, in the Black level section, you must place the bar right in the middle, at 50%.
- Enter the option called Dynamic Contrast.
- Select the option that says “Low.”
- Enter the section that says “Blacken”.
- There you must select the option that says “Low”.
- Enter the configuration that says “ECO Mode”.
- Click on the first option of all, the one that says “Deactivated”.
- Returning to the Advanced options menu, you will have to click on the option that says “Color”.
- Therefore, you should set the Color Saturation to 60%.
- Click on the option that says “Color temperature”.
- And finally, once inside said menu, you must choose the option that says “Cold”.
By selecting all the settings that we have shown you above, you will be able to obtain a higher image quality in almost all the modes offered by the TCL Smart TV with Android TV.
If these options do not appear on your TCL Android TV, it is most likely that you have never updated the operating system of your Smart TV.