How to prevent Alexa from saving your data – Guide
Amazon’s voice assistant has become a great alternative to Google Assistant. More, taking into account the number of new functionalities that the team behind Alexa does not stop implementing its voice assistant.
Although the use of a voice assistant makes our lives a little easier, it is an obvious fact that our privacy is in question. For this reason, there are situations in which you still don’t want Alexa to listen to everything you say.
Luckily, you can disable Alexa entirely so that it stops working on your smart speaker, making it a traditional sound device.
Reasons to disable Alexa completely
There are many reasons why it is sometimes a good idea to disable Alexa completely at times. It is an obvious fact that Amazon uses our private data to improve its voice assistant. And for this, he listens to absolutely all our conversations.
A clear violation of our privacy, but it is the price to pay to enjoy such powerful technologies. Or not? More than anything because, let’s be clear, Jeff Bezos has more than enough money to be able to use other less controversial systems.
Not to mention the fact that, on some occasions, Alexa misinterprets our words and thinks we are asking her something, or decides to automatically connect in the middle of a call.
More than enough reasons to decide to deactivate Alexa permanently when we do not need to use this voice assistant. Furthermore, as you will see later, the steps to follow to disable this service are very simple.
How to turn off Alexa completely
This is the simplest option to prevent Alexa from continuing to save our conversations. Let’s see the steps to follow:
- Open the Settings menu, after clicking on the More button located at the bottom right.
- Look for the Alexa Privacy option and access it.
- The menu may be in English, calm since the next step is very simple. You just have to click on “Manage your Alexa data or Manage my Alexa data”.
- Now, in the new menu that appears, you must go down until you find the option “Automatically delete recordings or Delete recordings automatically” and click on this option.
- A new tab will open, you will only have to select the option that interests you the most, although we recommend the last one (Do not save recordings), since it will erase the previous recordings and will not record your conversations again.
Disable Drop-In in Alexa
We are going to deactivate Drop-In, one of the most controversial features of Alexa since it can function as a kind of walkie-talkie between users, so it should be deactivated. To do this, you must follow the following steps
- Open the Alexa app and go to Communication.
- Click on the Profile button, located at the top right of the screen
- Now, click on your user profile.
- Find the Allow Drop-In option and disable it.
As you can see, the steps to follow are very simple. So feel free to protect your privacy by disabling Alexa completely.