What follows is a guide that will show you how to troubleshoot and fix the issue with Plex audio sync on your Apple TV. Among the few client-server media player platforms that exist, Plex is considered to provide the best offering in this domain. However, many users who own a TV from Apple might not echo this sentiment.
For the past few weeks, many Plex users have voiced their concern that the Plex app is buggy and causes audio sync issues on Apple TV.
In addition to the obvious lag between sound and picture, video can also get pixelated or freeze. The issue was first discovered after the tvOS 16 update and has not yet been addressed. Although there are no easy fixes for this problem, a few workarounds could address the issue.
Let’s take a look at these tips in detail.
Fix Plex Audio Sync Issue on Apple TV
Each of the following workarounds may be effective for you, and it is recommended that you try them all to see which one works best. With this in mind, let’s begin the process.
FIX 1: Switch to Infuse Client
To begin, you will want to switch from the default client (iTunes) to using Infuse by following these steps:
- To start, download Infuse from the App Store and install it on your Apple TV.
- On your Apple TV, open the Infuse application and select Settings > Shares.
- Then log into the server you want to add and tap Add Media Server.
- You can also select any other libraries you want to add to your favorites.
- Infuse will now examine the files in all your libraries and create an index of its contents. This may take a few minutes to complete.
- Launch Plex, and check to see if it has solved the audio sync issue on your Apple TV.
FIX 2: Turn on Match Dynamic Range or Match Frame Rate
Next, try switching between Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate. If either of those options helps your footage look better than it did before, then you’re good to go!
- To make sure your tv plays audio and video as you expect, go to Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content.
- Check the results by selecting Match Dynamic Range.
- Otherwise, reconfigure Match Frame Rate and recheck your findings.
That is all you need to know about fixing the Plex audio sync issue on your Apple TV. Although the developers are aware of this issue, they have not given out a date for when it will be resolved. Whenever that occurs, we will update this guide. In the meantime, you can try using one of these workarounds.