There are different ways to connect an Android device to the computer to manage its content. The most used is the cable connection after installing the drivers on the computer. There is also another way to get rid of cables and drivers, using only the WiFi network and any browser. To connect Android smartphones to the PC via WiFi or to another Android device you can use a simple free app called Droid Over Wifi to be installed on the Android device.
How to connect Android smartphones to the PC via WiFi
Connecting Android smartphones to the PC via WiFi is the easiest way to access an Android device via the PC. This method works with any version of the operating system, be it Windows, Linux or macOS. With the Droid Over Wifi app, we can access the memory of the Android smartphone through a simple and intuitive interface. Through a real Android file manager that we can manage from our PC. Through the file manager, it is possible to perform a series of operations such as renaming files, deleting folders and uploading or downloading documents, as well as displaying images and videos on the computer screen without downloading them.
You can download Droid Over Wifi for free from Google Play. The only requirement necessary to allow pairing is the compatibility with the operating system of the Android device, which cannot be less than Android 2.3. But I challenge those who still own it on their device. To connect an Android smartphone to the PC and make it work, the Android device and the PC must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- The MediaView function allows viewing of video and audio files contained in the current folder. You can stream full-screen Mpeg4, Ogg and WebM video files directly from your phone and in the meantime view the photos in another browser tab.
- The Folder Size function quickly calculates the size of the folders and displays it with graphs.
- Load multiple files simultaneously without size limitations. The progress of each file is visible in real time. Drag and Drop are supported and allows uploading multiple files simultaneously.
- Download multiple files at once without size restrictions. Ability to download multiple files simultaneously, which are compressed in a zip archive in order to increase the download speed.
- Create, rename and delete files and folders simply and directly via keyboard and mouse.
- Move files and folders with intelligent auto-complete functions.
- Sort the files and folders by name, size or modification date.
- Pin Code Protection.
- Droid Over WiFi runs as a background service on Android. So you can continue to use smartphones and tablets without problems.
Droid Over Wifi allows you to connect Android phone to the PC and access the contents of the device via a browser via WiFi. Very reminiscent of the famous Air Droid application. Unlike the latter, Droid Over Wifi focuses exclusively on reading and writing files, making the process as simple as possible. The application also allows you to preview files like images and movies directly from within the web interface, without the need to download them to your computer or any other mobile device. So, if you are without a USB cable and need to upload or download files to/from your device, check how Droid Over Wifi can help you.
The application allows you to also select multiple files together to upload or download. In the case of the latter hypothesis, all files will be compacted into a ZIP file.
To move files to other locations on the device, the web interface shows a popup where you can specify the destination directory. The application keeps track of existing directories and provides suggestions for the intended route. Basic functions such as creating files or folders or renaming are also supported.
Do you have files to transfer from your smartphone to your PC (or vice versa) but you can’t find the USB cable? In addition to the classic data transfer via USB cable, you can take advantage of the home WiFi network, which is more than sufficient in terms of speed to transfer. Also, read this guide to find out how to do it.