Guide: How to Fix Kodi Common Issues?
This article will provide you with a detailed Kodi troubleshooting guide to provide practical and straightforward solutions to a wide range of issues encountered with the Kodi player. Is your Kodi setup no longer working or having issues? Can’t watch your favorite TV shows or movies online? This is where the information in this article comes into play.
Kodi is a very stable piece of software, but it has bugs. Sometimes they are caused by issues with your operating system or local configuration, but other times they are caused by Kodi or one of its add-ons. This guide will show you how to resolve the most common Kodi issues.
- Kodi troubleshooting guide: solve common Kodi issues
- Kodi won’t start or crashes on boot
- Kodi crashes or freezes
- Kodi won’t connect to a source
- Kodi addons not working
- Kodi search feature not working
- Kodi addons cannot be deleted
- Load or buffering times too long
- the “No Stream Available” error
- Kodi videos with too much brightness or zoom
- Failed to Install a Dependency error is displayed
- Unable to Create Application error is displayed
- The Kodi repository not working
- Kodi cannot play 4K or HD videos
- Black screen when playing videos in Kodi
Kodi troubleshooting guide: solve common Kodi issues
The various problems are listed below, along with one or more quick fixes. If the solution is too lengthy, it will link to another article that covers the solution in greater depth.
Kodi won’t start or crashes on boot
Although this issue does not occur very frequently, it can and does crop up on occasion. There are two different methods that may be used to fix this problem and show you how to get Kodi running again when it won’t.
Fix – 1 – Install the latest version of the Visual C++ environment
It’s possible that updating to the most recent version of the Visual C++ Redistributable package will fix the problem. This update might be necessary in order for the most recent release of Kodi to function properly.
During the installation process, Kodi is supposed to verify that your computer already possesses all of the files required for it to function properly. However, in practice, this does not always take place.
You can get the most latest release of Visual C++ Redistributable from the official Microsoft website, where it is also available for download. You will need to go to the link provided in order to download the newest copy of Visual C++ for your computer’s operating system, which varies in size depending on whether it is 32 bits or 64 bits.
Downloading the 64-bit version is recommended whenever there is any confusion unless your computer is older than 12 years. It is possible that you will require to download the version of Windows that is compatible with ARM processors in order to use Windows on a tablet.
Fix – 2 – Update Kodi to its latest version
There are lots of issues that are resolved with each new update of Kodi, and this may be one of them. You can refer to the following guide to update Kodi or simply follow these simple steps to get Kodi up to date with the most latest versions available:
- Visit the download link on the official Kodi website.
- You will be able to view a list of the supported operating systems for which Kodi is available. Download the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the installer by clicking on the operating system you are using. If unsure, choose the 64-bit version, which is the most popular. Do not download the trial versions that can be found in tabs other than the suggested version, as they may include errors.
- Run the downloaded file to start the Kodi installation. If there are no conflicts, neither your addons nor your configuration settings will be affected by the update.
Once the Kodi installation is complete, verify that the issue has been resolved. If not, delete the application from your system and reinstall Kodi; however, you will need to reinstall the add-ons.
Kodi crashes or freezes
If Kodi fails when you start it or if it fails frequently, you can try resetting Kodi’s settings or one of the other fixes below.
Fix – 1 – Clear Kodi Cache
In a significant number of cases, deleting Kodi’s cache resolves problems. Go to the following guidelines to clear Kodi’s cache.
If the problem is specific to that particular add-on, you can also use one of the tools that come with the add-on.
You should be aware that these add-ons have specialized maintenance tools. Navigate to the “Tools / Settings” section of your add-on to get the tools that make it simple to clear your caches (different types of caches available, empty them all here).
Conveniently, several Maintenance add-ons enable you to simply manage your cache or even empty it when Kodi is launched.
Fix – 2 – Restore Kodi Default Settings
To reset Kodi’s default settings, a maintenance add-on can be used. In this instance, we’ll use the Indigo add-on. If you have not installed this add-on, read the Indigo installation guide.
Using this add-on, you will be capable of fixing a lot of Kodi-related issues. This is an extension that every user should install.
To reset Kodi settings using Indigo, follow the steps below:
- Launch Kodi and navigate to the main menu.
- Select Addons and then launch Indigo.
- On the home screen of Indigo, there is a button labeled Factory Reset. This option resets Kodi to its factory default settings. You must accept a message requesting confirmation of this action.
- A few seconds or minutes later, the process will complete. At the end of the process, you must restart Kodi and re-import your media library. Moreover, it may be required to authorize installation from unknown sources.
If Kodi continues to crash after trying this method, read on for another potential fix.
This guide will show how to reset Kodi to its default settings on a Windows PC in a few seconds.
Fix – 3 – Disable hardware acceleration
Speciﬁc playing issues can be resolved by disabling Kodi interface hardware acceleration in the Kodi settings. This issue occurs more frequently on Android and iOS devices than on desktop PCs. If you use Kodi on any of these devices, it is recommended that hardware acceleration be disabled. To disable it, you must take the following steps:
- Launch Kodi and navigate to the main menu.
- To access Kodi’s settings, click the gear icon.
- Click on Player and ensure that the Expert mode is selected at the bottom of the menu on the left.
- On the right side of the screen, the player options are displayed. Enable hardware acceleration – DXVA2 must be disabled.
- After deactivating the feature, Kodi must be restarted for the modifications to take effect.
If disabling hardware acceleration didn’t fix your problem, try another solution.
Fix – 4 – Update ResolveURL dependency
In several instances, some Kodi add-ons could force Kodi to restart without obvious explanation. If this is the case, it is advised that you disconnect from the internet and then launch Kodi. Once Kodi has been loaded, you should remove any newly installed add-ons. Manually updating Kodi resolvers and scrapers is another viable approach. To achieve this, take these steps:
- Open Kodi and click the gear icon on the home screen to access the Kodi settings.
then, click System.
- Click Addons and on the right, pick the option to manage dependencies.
- You will see the ResolveURL option. You must click on that choice.
- At the bottom of the display, you must click Update.
- After updating the resolvers, you need to restart Kodi.
Kodi won’t connect to a source
When adding a new source, you must always supply Kodi with the source’s URL. This is a standard method for adding addons on Kodi. If the URL is unavailable or Kodi cannot reach it for some reason, a notification stating that Kodi cannot access the source will be displayed.
Fix – 1 – Make sure the URL is correct
There are lots of instances in which people are confused and enter the same incorrect URL multiple times. Occasionally, the add-on may have been relocated to a new repository because the old one, which you are attempting to add, has vanished.
Fix – 2 – Add HTTPS prefix to URL
Some Kodi guides you can find might be wrong and include the wrong URL. If the URL starts with http, first try replacing the http prefix with https before trying other solutions. Similarly, if you have the https version of the link, try the http version of the link.
Fix – 3 – The repository is not available
On occasion, the repository may be unavailable for a number of different causes, including server difficulties, network errors, or issues with the repository’s hosting account. Simply wait a few minutes or a few hours and then try again. In the event that the repository has been removed, you can also conduct a Google search for an alternate location.
Kodi addons not working
This issue reveals itself when, after installing an addon or Kodi build, you can no longer stream any files. This problem has two possible solutions. On one side, you can try to update the add-on to its most latest versions, as it may contain an error. However, you might try using a VPN.
Fix – 1 – Update Kodi Addons
When you start Kodi, the application will search for updated versions of the add-ons you have already installed and install them if it finds any. In the event that an update is discovered for a particular add-on, you have the option to either update it immediately or delay the update until a later time. You will need to navigate to the Addons section of Kodi in order to view the updates that are currently in the queue. The Kodi logo will be accompanied by a directional arrow in the form of a circle.
The necessary action will be to bring these add-ons up to date. There is little doubt that there is a collection of add-ons that you utilize rather frequently, such as The Oath or The Magic Dragon. It is highly recommended that you immediately begin updating these add-ons. If you follow these steps, you will be able to update any add-on that is compatible with Kodi:
- Open Kodi, and then navigate to the main menu.
- To install video add-ons, go to the Addons section of the menu on the left, then choose Video Add-ons.
- Locate the add-on you wish to update, right-click on its icon, and pick the Information option from the context menu to gain access to the add-on preview.
- You will need to select the Update option within the addon preview. Doing this action will bring the add-on up to its most recent version.
It’s a good idea to check for updated versions of the addons you use from time to time. Even if you have to spend some time doing this, at least make sure your most-used addons are up to date and get rid of the ones you no longer use.
Fix – 2 – Bypass your ISP restrictions
In some cases, it is impossible to fix Kodi issues as they may be beyond your reach. Some internet service providers (ISPs) block requests from Kodi traffic. This causes buffering problems if you manage to load the videos. The method that is usually used to counteract this measure is the use of a VPN.
A VPN will encrypt all the traffic going in and out of your computer so that it cannot be detected even by your ISP.
Kodi search feature not working
Sometimes Kodi may stop looking for files or the dates of the files or their order is wrong. This problem can lead to search errors, especially when search results are sorted by date.
Fix – 1 -Check the system date
In most cases, erroneous search results are caused by the system or device date not being set correctly. This could affect your computer, your television, or your streaming device regardless of the model. To fix this problem you need to change the date of the system or the device on which to run Kodi.
Fix – 2 – Update addons
If you have just updated Kodi to a new version, it is also possible that some add-on has become obsolete and does not work properly with the new version of Kodi. Sometimes it can take weeks or months for developers to release a new version of the addon that is compatible with the new version of Kodi. In this case, you will have no choice but to wait or use another addon temporarily.
Kodi addons cannot be deleted
In some cases, you will see a series of errors when you try to uninstall some Kodi addons. Due to this, you will not be able to uninstall addons correctly. Fortunately, there are several solutions to this problem.
Fix – 1 – Remove addons correctly
Sometimes it could be the case that you install some addon that is outdated or that does not integrate well with Kodi. Due to this, Kodi may crash. If this is your case, you will have to remove the add-ons that you have recently installed. You can remove addons in different ways, but the easiest method is to uninstall them through the Kodi interface. You can refer to the following guide on how to uninstall addons from Kodi.
Fix – 2 – Delete the Kodi addon database file
If you’re having trouble getting your Kodi streaming experience working properly, it might be because of an addon. To fix this, you can delete the Addons27.db file.
If you’re having trouble with your Kodi installation, it might be because some add-ons are no longer compatible with the new version. Try updating your Kodi software to see if that fixes the problem.
The Addons27.db file contains cache information for add-ons that are installed on Kodi. Deleting this file will not remove any add-ons, as the file is created again when you launch Kodi again.
To delete a file on your computer, you can use different methods depending on your operating system.
- Windows: Access the start menu and type %APPDATA%/kodi/userdata/Database in the search field. Press Enter to open the directory.
- Linux: You will be able to find the file in your user directory. You need to access the path ~/Kodi/Userdata/Database.
- MacOS : You can find the file by going to Users / [your-name] / Library / Application Support / Kodi / Userdata / Database .
- Android: Open the file manager and navigate to Android / data / orgkodi / files / kodi / userdata / Database where you can see the file.
- iOS : To access the file you must navigate to the path private / var / mobile / Library / Preferences / Kodi / Userdata / Database .
- OpenElec : You must access the storage / kodi / userdata / Database directory .
- LibreElec : As with OpenElec, navigate to storage / kodi / userdata / Database .
The Addons27.db file is located in the Database directory. If you are having problems with Kodi, try deleting and re-entering your username and password, and then checking to see if the issues have been fixed.
Load or buffering times too long
If you experience problems playing the videos or they keep loading, it’s possible that you’re experiencing a buffering problem. Having a good internet connection is important, but it’s not always the source of the problem. Sometimes other factors, like poor quality or outdated equipment, are to blame.
There are several ways to improve buffering performance. This problem may be due to a problem with your network connection, a corrupted application cache, broken installation files, or outdated add-ons.
This guide will help you fix buffering issues and improve streaming performance on Kodi. Some tips and tricks are listed below.
the “No Stream Available” error
This error is quite common and required a dedicated article that you can find in this guide
Kodi videos with too much brightness or zoom
The Kodi player is usually able to adjust the brightness and zoom of images without issue. Sometimes videos can be too small to see clearly because they were created in a way that zoomed in on a particular part of the video. Similarly, some dark videos could have been blocked. You can also change these parameters without realizing it. You can change the number of threads and cores on your computer without realizing it.
Fix – 1 – Restore player defaults
- Open Kodi and begin playing any video file.
- You must select the settings icon, which is the one that resembles a gear, from the buttons that you can see in the lower right corner of the screen.
- To change the zoom level, view mode, brightness, or contrast, select the video settings option.
- Set the view mode to normal, the brightness and contrast options to 50%, and the zoom option’s value to 1 to make it the default value.
- You should have been able to resolve the issue with this.
Failed to Install a Dependency error is displayed
Sometimes an “error installing a dependency” message can appear when trying to install an addon. This usually doesn’t mean the addon won’t work, since you can usually install it anyway.
Fix – 1 – Fix dependency installation issues
To fix this error, you’ll need to understand that most Kodi add-ons require other add-ons to be installed.
One example of this is a scraper that scans the network for links. If an addon uses a specific scraper but is not set up in Kodi, it will not work.
To fix this issue, see the guide on how to fix Kodi dependency installation issues. In this guide, you will see different solutions to this problem in detail.
Unable to Create Application error is displayed
If Kodi doesn’t work correctly, you might get an error message that says “Unable to create an application.” This will cause Kodi to close automatically. When you update Kodi to a new version, it can sometimes cause problems. This problem is usually encountered on Windows, but not as commonly on other platforms.
Fix – 1 – Delete the profiles.xml file
You can try deleting the corrupted profiles.xml file to see if that resolves the issue. You must carry out the actions outlined below:
- Showing hidden system files should be your first action. In Windows 10, select Hidden Files after clicking View.
- In earlier versions of Windows, select the option to show hidden files, folders, and drives by clicking Organize -> Folder and search options -> View.
- You must then navigate to Kodi -> Userdata from C: -> Users -> [your-name] > App Data > Roaming.
- The hidden profiles.xml file, which is likely corrupt, is visible here. Remove it
- You should restart your computer and launch Kodi once more to see if the issue has been resolved after deleting the file.
- A new copy of the profiles.xml file will be generated automatically.
With this, the issue ought to be resolved at this point.
The Kodi repository not working
Kodi addons are stored on remote servers, and you can find repositories for them online. When you install an addon, some files are copied to your local system. However, you still need an internet connection to access various services of the addon. If your addon isn’t working properly because of a temporary or permanent problem, you won’t be able to use it.
Fix – 1 – Use another addon
Kodi addons come and go, and sometimes they stop working suddenly. This is because the developers don’t always have time to keep the add-ons updated.
Luckily, there are many different addons available that provide the same or similar features as some of the best Kodi addons.
Usually, when an addon disappears, someone else releases a replacement.
The best thing to do if you find an addon that is no longer working is to try another addon since there are likely hundreds of similar addons.
Kodi cannot play 4K or HD videos
There are many Kodi addons that can be used to watch videos in high definition or 4K. Whether they are movies, series, or any other content, these add-ons can be useful.
Kodi can play 4K videos, but your device needs a lot of processing power and memory to do so. There are many different streaming devices available for Kodi that can play any file. With a 4K TV box, you can play any content in 4K, but you will struggle to play high-resolution videos on one of the cheapest TV boxes.
Even if the videos are paused, you will most likely see them with pauses.
Fix – 1 – Use a more powerful device
If you are using a Kodi device on a computer that is mid- to high-end, you should not have any issues. If you are using Kodi on a TV Box, the only solution is to purchase another Kodi device that is capable of playing 4K videos.
Black screen when playing videos in Kodi
Some Kodi users have experienced a problem where their devices will not turn on. This problem is not common, but it has happened to a few people. There is not yet a known solution to this issue, but it may be something that can be fixed by performing a reset on the device.
If you are unlucky enough for this to happen to you, there are several solutions to fix the persistent black screen that appears when playing videos. You should try them one by one until you solve the problem:
Fix – 1 – Delete the Addons27 file
Sometimes you might have trouble using some incompatible or corrupted add-on after updating Kodi. The addons information is stored in a cache file, which we will delete. There is no need to worry if your Kodi installation goes missing or is deleted – it will be recreated automatically when you restart Kodi.
The file may also be located in a different location if you installed the Media Player using a package manager, such as Pacman.
- Delete the Addons27.db file
If you’re having trouble with Kodi, you might want to delete the Addons27.db file and restart Kodi. If the problem persists, try one of the other solutions below.
Fix – 2 – Clear Kodi Cache
If you’re having trouble watching your favorite shows or movies, clearing your Kodi cache may help.
For general tips on how to clear the Kodi cache, please see our guide on clearing the Kodi cache. However, if you have specific questions or problems with clearing the Kodi cache, please feel free to reach out to us using the comments section below or by using our contact form. We’ll do our best to help you out!
Fix – 3 – Update Kodi
Some users have been able to fix this problem by updating Kodi to the latest version. To do this, please see the guide on how to update Kodi.
This Kodi troubleshooting guide may help you solve any problems you might have with Kodi. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments below.
There are many potential solutions to the problems covered in this article, but if you know of another solution, please share it in the comments below.
We will keep this guide updated so that you always have the most up-to-date information.