Google also has its own VPN. If you don’t know it, it’s because it was released at the end of last year only for the United States. However, now the Google VPN is already available in 7 other countries: Spain, Mexico, Germany, Canada, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom. Of course, you will not be able to use it (or hire it) as an independent app, as it is only available as part of the Google One plans.
In case you don’t know, Google One is the service that allows you to save all kinds of files in the Google cloud. If you subscribe to the Google One 2TB (or more) plan, you get access to Google’s new VPN on your Android device at no additional cost. VPN not working on iOS, Windows, or Mac? Not right now, but Google said they are working to make it available on these systems soon.
What is the Google One VPN like?
The Google One VPN works the same way as all VPNs. Encrypts the entire Internet connection of your device so that you can browse and use the apps more securely and privately. It protects you against hackers on insecure networks (such as public WiFi networks) and minimizes the tracking of your Internet activity by hiding your IP address.
However, Google as a company does not have a good record when it comes to privacy. Therefore, on the official website of the Google One VPN they have clarified the following:
- Google does not use the VPN connection to track, record, or sell your activity on the Internet.
- They use an advanced integrated security system so that no one can link your online activity with your identity through the VPN.
- The company ensures that all of its client libraries are open source, so all of its systems receive independent audits.
- At the same time, they clarify that they only store the logs necessary to “guarantee the quality of service” such as aggregate performance, aggregate uptime of the VPN tunnel, aggregate total bandwidth, and so on.
- But your network traffic is not recorded nor is your IP associated with your activity.
Likewise, Google claims that its VPN does not limit the speed of the Internet. It is worth clarifying that this Google VPN is not focused on pretending that you are connecting from another country, but on security. For that reason, in the app, you will not find an option to change the country and the VPN could stop working if you travel to a country where the service is not available.
Google One VPN pricing
To be able to use the Google One VPN, you must be subscribed to at least the 2 TB plan of the service, which is worth € 9.99 per month or € 99.99 per year. The cheapest plans do not include the option to use the VPN.
How to activate the Google One VPN?
If you are subscribed to a plan of 2 TB or more of Google One, you can already use the Google VPN in this way:
- Download the Google One app or update it if you already have it.
- Open the app and log in with your Google account (to which the Google One subscription is associated).
- At the top, click on Benefits.
- Look for the VPN option and click on View details.
- Lastly, tap on Enable VPN.
- When you want to disable it, go to the notification bar and press the VPN notification.
And if you don’t want your Internet connection to be unprotected at any time, you can go to the “Manage VPN settings ” section and activate the Block Internet option if the VPN is disconnected.