How To Install Extended UI on Redmi Note 8 [Android 10]
As we have always said, one of the things that make Android the perfect operating system is its freedom and customization capabilities. Anyone can take AOSP, and with a minimum of programming knowledge create your own custom Android ROM.
With a Custom ROM, many devices manage to have updated Android versions, even before the official OTA is released, as in this case. The Redmi Note 8 can be upgraded to Android 10, however, there is only firmware for Russia and the United States.
So if you want to update your Redmi Note 8 to Android 10 right now, you can do it with Extended UI, a very complete custom ROM.
Extended UI, a perfect custom ROM so you have Android 10 on your Redmi Note 8
Like many other alternative ROMs, Extended UI is optimized to get the most out of your Redmi Note 8. Its interface is very fluid, and comes free of unnecessary pre-installed applications, keeping only the minimum for full operation.
Extended UI includes the Android security patch on April 10, so you don’t have to worry about installing an outdated ROM. In addition, once installed, it occupies around 13 GB of storage, leaving about 50 GB free, more than MIUI leaves.
This ROM is highly customizable and the battery life is excellent. Besides, it has dual support for VoLTE and VoWiFi, two functions that often go into detail with custom ROMs. ANX Cam, the Extended UI camera app, is very similar to MIUI’s. In addition, it gets very good results, something that many alternative ROMs also fail.
Extended UI also supports multiple GCam mods, but few offer full support for all Redmi Note 8 sensors.
Requirements to install Android 10 on your Redmi Note 8 through Extended UI
We already talked about the benefits of Extended UI, but now it’s time to know how to install this ROM so that you have Android 10 on your Redmi Note 8, right? However, before installing you must have several tools, these are:
- Unlock the bootloader of your Redmi Note 8 . You can follow this tutorial to do it, although the most updated version of My Unlock Tool can be downloaded from here.
- Download TWRP to use it as your new recovery. You can download it from here.
- Download Extended UI from this link. GApps are already included.
- To root your mobile, download Magisk from this link.
- Download and install the Android ADB for Windows, or for MacOS.
- A USB Type-C cable and a computer.
- That your Redmi Note 8 is loaded above 70% (this is for security)
If you are doing the process from a Mac, you will have to do the following to use the Android ADB:
- Unzip the ZIP file you downloaded and paste the content on the desktop.
- Open macOS terminal.
- Type “Type cd Desktop / Android” (without the quotes).
- Then type “./ADB-Install-Mac.sh” (without the quotes).
How to install Extended UI on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 to have Android 10
Now that you have all the prerequisites, you can go ahead with the Extended UI installation. It’s a bit of a long process, but not complicated at all, as long as you don’t touch where you shouldn’t, nothing should happen.
Of course, remember that installing a custom ROM will make you lose the warranty, but you can always go back to the original firmware and recover it. These are the steps to follow to install:
- Copy the Extended UI and Magisk files to the removable storage of your mobile.
- Turn off your Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 and start in fastboot mode. To do this you will have to press the power keys and decrease the volume at the same time.
- Connect your mobile to the computer with the USB cable.
- Open the Windows console, and navigate to the folder where the TWRP IMG file is.
- Type “fastboot devices” in the console to see if it recognizes your mobile.
- If it does, type “fastboot flash recovery_filename.img”, and press Enter. “Filename” is the name of the TWRP file, if you changed it, you will have to replace that word with the new name.
- Once the TWRP installation process is finished, restart the mobile in recovery mode. To do this you just have to press the volume up and power buttons simultaneously.
- When entering TWRP, it will ask you for permission to make modifications, allow it.
- Press the “Wipe” button, then “Form Data” and confirm with “Yes”.
- Then click on “Advanced Wipe”, then “Davilk / ART Caché” and there select “System”, “Data” and “Caché”. Then confirm the action using the slider that appears on the screen.
- Go back to the TWRP main menu and press “Install”.
- Browse to the folder where you saved the Extended UI and Magisk installation files.
- Select the ZIP file of Extended UI, and the one of Magisk if you want to root your Redmi Note 8. Confirm the installation by sliding to the right on the corresponding button.
- Once the installation is complete, select “Reboot” and then “System”.
- Wait a few minutes for Extended UI to configure, complete the initial setup wizard, and enjoy.
Ready! If you followed the steps correctly, in less than 15 minutes you should be enjoying Android 10 on your Redmi Note 8. It was easy, right?
Now there is only one thing missing, that you tell us in the comments about your experience with this ROM, although you can also recommend others.