OxygenOS on OnePlus easily allows you to use an app on one floating window, facilitating the multitasking use of the smartphone. In this article, we will show you two different ways to use the floating window.
OnePlus: how to use apps in the floating window
For those who are not yet familiar with this useful feature, they exist two ways to use the floating window on OnePlus smartphones with OxygenOS 11 or 10. You can enable Freeform windows in developer options to use draggable mini-windows apps or use selective apps in a floating window while in-game mode. Both methods will be described below.
Use resizable windows
You can enable floating windows on your OnePlus smartphone via the option resizable windows, or resizable windows, hidden in the developer options. Here are the steps to follow to do this:
Enable developer options
- Open the settings on your OnePlus smartphone;
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Phone information;
- Then touch the build number seven times;
- When required, enter the PIN lock screen to enable developer options.
Enable resizable windows in developer options
- Now go back to the main page of Settings;
- Touch the item here System;
- On the next screen, select Developer options;
- Now scroll all the way to find the item Enable free-form windows;
- Enable the relevant toggle, then close the settings.
Use the apps in the resizable window
- Scroll up and press and hold to access the recent apps screen;
- Here, long tap on the app you want to use in a floating window;
- Once the options appear, click the Freeform window.
The app will now open in a small floating window on the screen. You can drag the floating window or resize the app via borders. However, please note that not all apps support resizable windows. Additionally, some apps may not work properly.
Use floating windows with Gaming Mode
OnePlus OxygenOS comes with a dedicated game mode to enhance the overall experience while playing. This also allows you to use apps like WhatsApp, Telegram, and Instagram in a floating window.
Gaming mode is activated automatically when a game added in its section is opened. You can use the floating window via gaming mode following the steps below:
- Open the game you want to play with;
- Make sure this is added to the games section so that the game mode will activate automatically;
- Swipe in from the top left or right edge screen to activate or deactivate the gaming mode toolbox;
- You will now see the options for WhatsApp, Instagram, Telegram along with other game features;
- Tap one of the apps to open them in a floating window, so you can use them during the game session.
The floating window during the game is only available in the OnePlus models listed below:
- 9, 9R, 9 Pro;
- 8, 8T, 8 Pro;
- 7, 7T, 7 Pro, 7T Pro;
- 6, 6T.